The Eagles were expected to contend for an NFC East title last year. Instead, they finished dead-last in the division and elected to move on from quarterback Carson Wentz, taking a massive dead cap hit to acquire draft picks from the Colts.
As a result, the Eagles have picked up an extra third-round pick this year and after trading down from the No. 6 spot, they currently have the most picks in this year’s draft with 11.
With so much dead money on the books, it will be hard for the Eagles to rebuild quickly. They appear set to roll with Jalen Hurts as their starting quarterback, but they’ll need to add some talent around him in order to be competitive. They have a lot of holes on both offense and defense, so nailing this draft will prove critical to their future. Either way, it will be good for them to add an infusion of young talent to what was previously an aging roster.
Here’s a look at the Eagles’ picks in the 2021 NFL Draft:
Eagles draft picks 2021: When does Philadelphia pick?
- Round 1, Pick No. 10: DeVonta Smith, WR, Alabama
- Round 2, Pick No. 37: Landon Dickerson, OG/C, Alabama
- Round 3, Pick No. 73: Milton Williams, DE, Louisiana Tech
- Round 4, Pick No. 123
- Round 5, Pick No. 150
- Round 6, Pick No. 189
- Round 6, Pick No. 224
- Round 6, Pick No. 225
- Round 7, Pick No. 234
- Round 7, Pick No. 240
Eagles 2021 NFL Draft order
|1||10 (from Cowboys)|
|4||18 (from Dolphins through Cowboys)|
|6||40 (Compensatory Selection)|
|6||41 (Compensatory Selection)|
|7||12 (from 49ers)|
Eagles NFL Draft needs
- Wide receiver: The Eagles used a first-round pick on Jalen Reagor last year, but the TCU product didn’t look the part of a No. 1 WR as a rookie (31 catches, 396 yards, one TD). They’ll continue to give him chances to succeed, but the team needs a true WR1 and could find one in a great receiver draft.
- Linebacker: The Eagles had one of the worst linebacker groups in the NFL last year and desperately needs to add a high-end tackler to the unit. Micah Parsons could be an option for them with the 12th pick — if he’s available.
- Cornerback: Darius Slay was a fine starter last year for Philly, but outside of him, their coverage was poor. They added Anthony Harris in free agency to upgrade the safety spot, so expect them to target some cornerback help in the draft.
- Offensive line: Philadelphia lost a ridiculous amount of offensive linemen to injuries last year, so they’ll be better in that spot by default this year. That said, Jason Kelce is 33 and the team needs to add more depth in general in case the injury bug bites again.
- Defensive tackle: Outside of Fletcher Cox, the Eagles don’t have a lot at the defensive tackle spot. Adding a better-rounded player to rotate with the run-stuffing Javon Hargrave would be a smart move.
Philadelphia Eagles mock draft 2021
Here are the latest 2021 NFL Draft projections for the Eagles, according to Vinnie Iyer’s seven-round mock draft:
|3||21||D’Wayne Eskridge||WR||Western Michigan|
|6||5||Keith Taylor Jr.||CB||Washington|
|6||41||Tommy Doyle||OT||Miami (OH)|